Friday 31 May 2013

Kilchoman: Machir Bay 2012

Frankly, I am young impressional whiskey drinker in love with the new, the novel and so I am a bit naive. This makes me and the Kilchoman Machir Bay 2012 a perfect pairing for this review. Kilchoman (R540) is a young distillery in the Islay Region, so you I decided to try and match it with it's obvious competitor, Laphroaig 10 year (R490). These whiskey's price range is in the same whiskey neighbourhood. Let's call them my com-peat-ing neighbours and I'm new guy in the neighbourhood. The question is whose house will I frequent?

So first to visit is the unknown next door: Kilchoman. What a surprise. This unknown (the whiskey is has a mixture of 60% 3 years, 35% 4 years and 5% 5 years whiskey) is not only new, but so complex. At first our unknown neighbour can seem a bit crude, I'd admit but spend some time with it, let it sit in your glass and then you'll start to appreciate its full potential. As a friend of mine, who has been a whiskey drinker for several years, said after letting in sit in his glass for a while: 'Potential I see for this one, I think'. (Ok, he is a weird crossbreed of Star Wars nerd and Whiskey nerd).

Now for my other neighbour's visit, the old friend that convinced me to move to peak-town in the first place, Laphroaig 10 year. I love this friend of mine. He always tells the same old jokes. He has that warmth of "you've known me for a while." I feel like time collapses into these peaty arms of his. Yet I immediately notice he is a bit more peaty than my new neighbour. A bit less energetic maybe? I'll still visit him, but might do more things with my new friend. Then again, Kilchoman and I has something in common: we're both new, novel and so a bit naive on our new journey.

Sadly I have to say that my new neighbour Kilchoman is a bit scarce. It is difficult to get hold of him. In South Africa the best availability is Whiskey Brothers in Hyde Park Mall. Go there, you won't we disappointed. Even if he's scarce I'm going with the new guy.

Ps. For technical detail concerning Kilchoman Machir Bay 2012 check out: http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/kilchoman/kilchoman-machir-bay-2012-whisky/

And Laphroaig 10 years:
http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/laphroaig-10-year-old-35cl-whisky/?srh=1

No comments:

Post a Comment